Friday, 17th August 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook

There was a large contingent of Waterford supporters among the 6687 patrons in Nowlan Park on Monday last for the meeting of Waterford and Kilkenny in the third round of the Allianz National Hurling League. Most, if not indeed all, of the Waterford supporters would believe that on the day this was a game that the visitors allowed to slip away. For the most part the Deise gave as good as they got and after an initial burst by Kilkenny, it was Waterford who dominated the exchanges in the opening half and deservedly led 0-11 to 1-6 at the break. The goal for Kilkenny coming from Ger Aylward following a defensive error where a short puck out did not find the intended target. Indeed in the conditions where Waterford played with the aid of a strong breeze in that opening thirty five minutes it might perhaps have been more beneficial to have used the elements and abandon the short quick puckout game although, I do understand that the management might well be trying to set a playing pattern.

Waterford were first on the scoresheet as a foul on Michael Walsh saw goalkeeper Stephen O'Keeffe land a point. Kilkenny then reeled three points without reply as Richie Hogan, Aidan Fogarty and Hogan again gave the home side an 0-3 to 0-1 lead. Jake Dillon and Eoin Larkin traded points before a superb passing move in the Waterford defence saw the ball with Shane O'Sullivan who was fouled. The Ballygunner man pointed and in the 15th minute Brian O'Halloran had the scores tied 0-4 apiece. A second Shane O'Sullivan point from midfield and two frees from Pauric Mahony edged Waterford 0-7 to 0-4 ahead. Waterford were winning the battle and were deservedly ahead. However in the 29th minute disaster struck for Waterford. Goalkeeper Stephen O'Keeffe in trying to take a quick puck out saw the shot intercepted by Ger Aylward and the Glenmore man raced through to goal. The sides, despite all Waterford's good work, were level 0-7 to 1-4. Waterford again edged ahead with Jake Dillon and Shane Walsh landing a point apiece. Eoin Larkin had a point from a free for Kilkenny and the All-Ireland champions were level again in the 34th minute as Colin Fennelly pointed. Not dismayed however Waterford struck back in the additional time allocated by referee James McGrath as Jake Dillon and Kevin Moran saw the Deise to a 0-11 to 1-6 lead at the break. The Waterford management would have been happy with the performance of their young charges.

The opening minutes of the second half saw Kilkenny back in front as they registered three points without reply. A foul on Shane Walsh and Pauric Mahony pointed. The Ballygunner sharpshooter had another point in from a free in the 40th minute to see the Deise back in the lead 0-13 to 1-9. Kilkenny had a lucky escape in the 43rd minute as a Pauric Mahony free came back into play off the upright. Jamie Barron replaced Brian O'Sullivan in the Deise attack as a foul on Jake Dillon brought a free and a point for Pauric Mahony. Again it was the accuracy of Mahony which gave Waterford a three point advantage 0-15 to 1-9 in the 55th minute as he converted following a foul on Shane O'Sullivan. Kilkenny then had the score tied with points from Aiden Fogarty, Lester Ryan and Matthew ruth as Maurice Shanahan replaced Shane Walsh in the attack for Waterford. An Eoin Larkin free in the 59th minute saw the home side two points ahead 1-13 to 0-15 but disaster struck for the second time in the Waterford defence as goalkeeper Stephen O'Keeffe failed to control the ball and Matthew Ruth goaled. Another point for the team from the Marble City and there was a yawning five point gap 2-14 to 0-15. Maurice Shanahan pointed for Waterford but Eoin Larkin closed out the scoring to give Kilkenny a somewhat flattering 2-15 to 0-16 win and with it a very precious two league points. This was an opportunity for Waterford to register a rare win in Nowlan park and on the performance there is no denying that they deserved something out of the game but, sometimes the luck deserts you and the Deise now have to look to next weekend and the visit of Tipperary who are beginning to hit a vein of form. That said home advantage might just give Waterford the edge.


Following a defeat to Leitrim in Carrick-on-Shannon at the weekend the Waterford Senior Footballers are out of the promotion race in the Allianz National league. The Deise began the campaign with two superb wins over Clare and Tipperary but for some inexplicable reason the performances have spiralled downhill so much so that from being fancied to gain promotion they are now out of contention with two games still to be played. The home side led 1-9 to 2-3 at the break and deservedly so. Although Waterford had opened the Leitrim defence as early as the fourth minute when Robert Ahearne goaled. Undaunted Laetrim fought back and a goal from Ryan Cox midway through the half saw the home side in command although a goal near the break from Darren Guiry gave the deise some hope for the second half. Despite the efforts of Gary Hurney and Tony Grey, it was Leitrim who held sway throughout the second half with a late goal from Grey bringing some semblance of respectability to the scoreline. All is not lost and Waterford have a home game against Offaly next weekend and an away game to Carlow two weeks later, so hopefully positive results will give the Deise some momentum for the upcoming championship.


The following are the list of Waterford Kellogg's Cul Camps for week July 8th to July 12th.

Please remember to book with your club co-ordinator.

Club Co Ordinator Contact number

Clonea Tina O'Brien 086-8570600

DLS Gracedieu Joey Carton 087-9215541

Gaultier Janet Cunningham 087-9728509

An Ghaeltacht Fionn Mac Giolla Chuda 087-2437963

Brickey Rangers Angela Whelan 087-2641164


Letters to the Editor

  • Our View

    Rush to CriticismThere are not many people who at this stage have not heard about the Cash family and what happened to them. The mother and six of her children had to seek accommodation in the Tallaght Garda Station last week as they had absolutely nowhere to turn to. It led to an outcry as pictures of the young children sleeping on seats were posted to social media by the mother.Understandably there were a lot of people who were saddened to see that in this day and age that a family had to resor …

    read more »

Weekly Poll