Wednesday, 19th September 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook

The quarter final places were up for grabs last weekend in the JJ Kavanagh sponsored Waterford Senior Hurling Championship and they proved very entertaining indeed. With little or nothing betwenn the teams in all four games it was all do or die for the clubs concerned.

On Saturday evening in Lismore neighbours Ballyduff Upper and Tallow faced off with a county final quarter final at stake. Both clubs were going to leave it all on the field.

Ballyduff Upper led midway through the half by five points but Tallow got a tremendous lift with a goal from Mark O'Brien. That said Ballyduff continued to hold the upper hand and went to the break ahead 1-11 to 1-6. The Bridesiders returned for the second half a rejuvenated outfit and within fifteen minutes had slipped ahead 1-15 to 1-13. Neither team could gain a significant advantage from there to the end and the sides finished level Ballyduff Upper 1-20 to Tallow's 2-17 in regulation time. Twenty minutes extra time was called for and Ballyduff upper were back in front at half time in this extra time period. 1-24 to 3-17. However in those final pulsating minutes it was Tallow through Thomas Daly who had the one point advantage at the end 3-22 to 1-27. It was heartbreak for Ballyduff Upper who for long periods were the better team but in the end Tallow got the important scores.


Dungarvan hosted the remaining three games on Sunday and they turned out to be hugely exciting affairs with Mount Sion facing An Rinn in the opener. Sion were expected to come through against their Gaeltacht opponents who ended the group stage pointless. The opening half saw little between the sides and ended 0-8 apiece. Mount sion made the brighter start in the second half and led 0-15 to 0-10 after forty minutes with Austin Gleeson contributing handsomely to the scoreboard. A Donie Breathnach goal for the Western club brought them to within two points 0-16 to 1-11 midway through the half. Mount sion gathered their forces and went five clear once again 0-19 to 1-11 as the game closed out towards the additional time. Leading 0-20 to 1-13 the Mount Sion supporters were rocked once again as Christy Breathnach crashed the ball to the net in additional time but with frayed nerves Austin Gleeson, as he had done all day, split the posts to see the Monastery out safely into the next round.


Fourmilewater faced city outfit Roanmore and what a cracker it turned out. Two goals for the Ballymacarbry side within a minute and forty seconds, from Shane Walsh and Dylan Guiry, rocked the city outfit right back on their heels. However a goal from the excellent Emmet O'Toole in the 11th minute gave the city side a real lifeline. As the half progressed and with O'Toole and Gavin O'Brien unerring from placed balld the lead was back to the minimum 22-6 to 1-8 at the break.

As in the opening half it was Fourmilewater who breached their opponents defence on the resumption as Jamie Barron was on hand to crash the ball past reserve keeper Jack Chester in the Roanmore goal. Fourmilewater continued to hold the advantage throughout the second half and led 3-10 to 1-13 with seven minutes remaining but were not finishing scoring chances. Roanmore's Gavin O'Brien was unerring from placed balls and brought the game to extra time following a 3-10 to 1-16 finish. In extra time there was still little to seperate the sides and despite a goal from Shane Ryan for Fourmilewater the city side through O'Toole and O'Brien edged home by a single point 1-22 to 3-15.


The final playoff game brought Dungarvan and Lismore together. Little seperated the sides in the opening thirty minutes with the Old Boro ahead 0-11 to 0-7 at the break. A Ray Barry goal on the resumption helped Lismore ahead 1-11 to 0-12 after 45 minutes. The sides were tied on four occasions and still nothing seperated them at the final whistle 0-20 to 2-14. The second Lismore goal a magnificent effort from Maurice Shanahan who burst through with a run from midfield. Extra time for the second time on Sunday and it was all decided in a two minute spell on 72 minutes as both Gavin Power and Aaron Donnelly goaled for Dungarvan helpin them to a 2-23 to 2-20 win over a gallant Lismore side.

Tommy Prendergast is the June winner of the WLR Granville Hotel GAA Award

The Kilrossanty man put in a powerful display at midfield as Waterford recorded a first Championship win since 2011 when they defeated Wexford in the opening round of the All-Ireland Qualifiers at Innovate Wexford Park

Tommy made a number of marks and mounted several attacks as Waterford played an excellent brand of football

He battled hard in the Round 2 clash in Fraher Field as a superior Monaghan ended Waterford's championship campaign

Tommy has given wonderful service with the County footballers over the past eight years.

He will turn his attentions to his club Kilrossanty, who sealed their place in the Quarter-Finals of the County Senior Football Championship following victory over Brickey Rangers recently


Letters to the Editor

  • Waiting can be bad for your He...

    When the latest statistic that waiting times for patients had risen to their highest level yet, there can't have been too many people that were surprised.There are now over 700.000 people on waiting lists with over 50.000 of them children. That so many people are waiting for treatment in one of the most developed economies in the world is truly frightening. Of course you can take into account the underfunding of the health sector during the economic downturn but it still wouldn't fully explain why so ma …

    read more »

Weekly Poll