Monday, 20th August 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook

Cork City come from behind to defeat Waterford

Cork City returned to the top of the Premier League when they came from behind to defeat Waterford FC at the RSC on Friday night last. Noel Hunt gave the Blues the lead after 31 minutes but the visitors equalised one minute later and then they took control of the second half and they ran out deserved winners. This was Waterford's third consecutive league defeat but they still hold on to third position. They will take a break for league duties this weekend when they play Skerries Town in the FAI Cup. The following week it's an away game against Derry City at the Brandywell.

The Blues created the first chance of the derby on seven minutes. Referee Neil Doyle played a good advantage after a foul on Gavan Holohan when Izzy Akinade picked up the ball before charging at goal, but keeper Mark McNulty saved with his feet before Damien Delaney headed clear under pressure from Noel Hunt.

Karl Sheppard failed to capitalise on a Rory Feely backpass on 11 minutes when the Blues defender left his clearance short and when the Cork City attacker raced onto the ball, he shot straight at Matt Connor from the right-side of the penalty area.

Gavan Holohan had a fantastic opportunity to give the Blues the lead seven minutes later when he got on the end of a brilliant left-wing Dylan Barnett cross, but his first time right-footed shot from 12 yards was well saved by Cork keeper McNulty, who dived to his left to save.

The contest sprung into life with two goals in the space of sixty seconds on 31 minutes. It was home side that grabbed the lead when a superb ball from Rory Feely saw Noel Hunt time his run to perfection and he drilled the ball past McNulty from an acute angle under pressure from Sean McLoughlin.

With the Blues still celebrating the breakthrough goal, it was Cork that levelled within seconds. A long ball from Steven Beattie picked out the run of Graham Cummins, who in turn laid the ball into the path of Garry Buckley, who got past the tackle of Paul Keegan before slotting the ball past keeper Matt Connor.

Cork got their noses in front with eight minutes on the clock in the second half when Garry Buckley cracked in a shot from 25-yards that was parried by Blues keeper Matt Connor into the path of Graham Cummins and the former Blues player scooped the ball to the net from close-range.

Bastien Héry linked up with leftback Dylan Barnett for the Blues on 58 minutes, but he failed to trouble Mark McNulty as he comfortably saved his edge of the area effort. Blues boss Alan Reynolds did bring on Courtney Duffus for Paul Keegan that saw a change in formation as the hosts tried to grab an equalising goal.

It was Graham Cummins who had the ball in the back of the Cork City net on 68 minutes, but the flag was raised for offside before referee Neil Doyle got the wrath of the Blues fans as he failed to punish tackles on Dylan Barnett and Stanley Aborah, the latter receiving a yellow card for his protests. Try as they might the home side just could not trouble Mark McNulty during the remainder of the match and it was John Caulfield's men who went back home with the three points.

WATERFORD FC: Matt Connor, Dessie Hutchinson, Kenny Browne, Rory Feely, Dylan Barnett (Garry Comerford '76), Paul Keegan (Courtney Duffus '67), Stanley Aborah, Bastien Héry, Gavan Holohan (Sander Puri '76), Noel Hunt, Izzy Akinade CORK CITY: Mark McNulty, Steven Beattie, Jimmy Keohane, Damien Delaney, Conor McCormack, Shane Griffin, Barry McNamee (Kieran Sadlier '89), Sean McLoughlin, Graham Cummins (Josh O'Hanlon '84), Karl Sheppard (Alan Bennett '90+4), Garry Buckley Referee: Neil Doyle (Dublin)


Letters to the Editor

  • Our View

    Rush to CriticismThere are not many people who at this stage have not heard about the Cash family and what happened to them. The mother and six of her children had to seek accommodation in the Tallaght Garda Station last week as they had absolutely nowhere to turn to. It led to an outcry as pictures of the young children sleeping on seats were posted to social media by the mother.Understandably there were a lot of people who were saddened to see that in this day and age that a family had to resor …

    read more »

Weekly Poll