Sunday, 23rd September 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook

Bolton fold as they win Joe Delaney Cup

Back in 1973 a massive crowd turned up in Poleberry Park to watch Bolton defeat Stella Maris from Dublin 2-1 in the final of the Evans Cup and in doing so they became only the second Waterford club to win the prestigious national cup. Crusaders had won the famous trophy some years previously. Noel Lavery was the player who scored the winning goal for Bolton in extra time as the maager Denny Duggan and his assistant Kevin Roche celebrated with the other players on the team which included David Wotton, Pat O'Brien, Bobby O'Leary, Jamsie O'Shea, John Hartery, Robbie Burns, Anthony Robinson, Brian Gavin, Kevin Flynn, Mossy Cunningham and Gerry Dawney. The legendary Dermot Walshe devoted his life to the Bolton club and on Saturday last his grandson Ben became the last player to lift a trophy for the club as the Under 13 C team defeated Kilmacow in Graun Park, Tramore. A very special presentation was made to Dermot after the match by Pat Kelly of the WSFL and all in all this was a poignant occasion and as Dermot (Mr Bolton) departed local football he simply said ``thanks for all the memories. The club was founded in 1947 so 71 years of history can now be recalled with pride.

The opening goal arrived after two minutes when Tyrese Orji whipped in a brilliant corner kick from the right that picked out the run of Ben Walshe, who knocked the ball down in the path of Danny Reilly and he swept the ball to the net with a left-footed finish.

Tom Reddy cracked in a shot from distance on five minutes, but his shot was brilliant saved by keeper Mongali before Bolton doubled their lead five minutes later when Balau Onafesa whipped in a corner kick from the right and Lee Flanagan was on hand to hammer home from close range.

Bolton were in cruise control at this stage of the game and it was a large slice of luck that yielded a third goal on 28 minutes when Davin Marshall fired in a shot from distance that took a deflection off Kilmacow defender Shane Egan that saw the ball hit John Hartery and fly to the back of the net.

The first goal of the second half was always going to be vital and that came in the shape of a Bolton goal that really settled the tie as a contest on 32 minutes when Lee Flanagan picked up the ball on the left-side of the area before arrowing a shot to the far right-corner of the net that gave keeper Shane Morrissey no chance whatsoever.

It took just sixty seconds later for the victors to add a fifth goal when Flanagan played the ball out to the left for Ben Walshe and he showed great skill out before cracking a left-footed shot to the far corner of the net past Shane Morrissey.

Kilmacow pulled a goal back on 36 minutes when Eoin Alyward's free kick was deflected over the line before a second goal arrived three minutes from the finish. David Sheridan split the defence with an excellent through ball that set up Callum Regan and he held his nerve to fire past Exuasi Mongali.

Davin Marshall will be always remembered as the man that scored Bolton's last ever game in football as he completed the scoring in the final minute when he bundled the ball home from close range after Ben Walshe's free kick was saved by `keeper Morrissey.

BOLTON: Exuasi Mongali, Cormac Dunphy, Danny Reilly, Jack Cowman, Joseph Obasagi, Balau Onafesa, Tyrese Orji, Davin Marshall, Manni Adabayo, Lee Flanagan, Ben Walshe, Brendan Kelly, Conan Day, JP Murphy, Ben Nyugen, Reece Kenneally, Luke McMonagle.

KILMACOW: Shane Morrissey, Eoin Murray, Shane Egan, Lorcan Suffin, Jack Quinn, Aaron Cass, Tom Reddy, Eoin Alyward, Callum Regan, Sean Sheridan, Stephen Walsh, Killian Blanche, Eden Gillespie, David Sheridan, Eoin Alyward. Referee: Stuart Kennedy assisted by Trevor Hartery and Noel Connolly

Waterford FC Sign Dessie Hutchinson and Noe Baba

Waterford FC have announced the signings of Dessie Hutchinson and Noe Baba. Former Waterford Bohemians midfielder Hutchinson joins the club after a spell with English Premier League club Brighton and Hove Albion, while Baba joins after spells with Fulham, Birmingham City and Macclesfield Town. Both players are eligible from July 1st, pending international clearance.

Hutchinson is a former Republic of Ireland underage international and made his Brighton first-team debut against fellow Premier League side Bournemouth in the league cup, playing the full 120 minutes in a narrow 1-0 defeat.

Defender Baba shone for Castlebar Celtic and the Republic of Ireland underage sides before earning a move in 2013 to Fulham.The 21-year-old moved to Birmingham City before spending last season with Macclesfield Town as they won promotion to the Football League.

Cameroon-born Noe has captained the Republic of Ireland Under-17s and has featured for Ireland up to Under-21 level.

"I'm very happy to join the club and get things sorted. I've been down around the squad and it feels like it's a good fit for me," Baba said.

Waterford FC manager Alan Reynolds is delighted to get both players signed up.

"It's great to get both Dessie and Noe signed up as we look forward to getting back into action after the mid-season break. We've made no secret that we're looking to strengthen the side and both players are good additions to the squad. They're both young players who'll be looking to make an impact and that's what I'm looking for."


Letters to the Editor

  • Waiting can be bad for your He...

    When the latest statistic that waiting times for patients had risen to their highest level yet, there can't have been too many people that were surprised.There are now over 700.000 people on waiting lists with over 50.000 of them children. That so many people are waiting for treatment in one of the most developed economies in the world is truly frightening. Of course you can take into account the underfunding of the health sector during the economic downturn but it still wouldn't fully explain why so ma …

    read more »

Weekly Poll