Friday, 17th August 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook

Blues suffer at the cross again

Waterford FC lost for the second time in Turners Cross this season when they came home empty handed from the Leeside venue on Friday last. Fresh from their thumping four nil victory over Derry City the previous week it was a somewhat depleted squad which made the journey to Cork. John Martin came in for Sander Puri who was on international duty with Estonia and Stanley Aborah was suspended and he will not be available again until after the mid season break. Players such as John Kavanagh and Garry Comerford are log time injury victims and the squad is stretched to the limit at the moment. St Patrick St Patrick’s Athletic and Bray Wanderers are the remaining games before the break and come July 1st new players will be added to the panel. Results elsewhere last weekend means the Blues are still well clear in third position and are in with a big shout of European football next season. New assistant manager Noel Hunt was in the dugout alongside Franny Rockett and Paul Cashin and he would have liked what he saw for long periods of this match. Alan Reynolds, the manager was not present as he was recovering from the attack on him the previous Sunday.

Bastien Héry picked the out the run of Izzy Akinade with a magnificent through ball on six minutes as he got behind the Cork defence but Mark McNulty charged from his line to avert the danger with Courtney Duffus unavailable to take advantage of the rebound Akinade controlled a brilliant Gavan Holohan clearance three minutes later when he outmuscled defender Colm Horgan on the left-side of the penalty area but his low shot was saved by McNulty after Graham Cummins saw a teasing cross cut out at the other end Blues keeper Lawrence Vigouroux produced a stunning save to deny the home side the lead on 14 minutes when Shane Griffin cracked in a shot from the left-side of the penalty area that seemed destine for the net but the netminder got a vital touch on the ball to divert it over the crossbar David Webster had a good chance to put his side in front on 24 minutes when the centre forward got on the end of a right-wing Faysel Kasmi corner kick but he just couldn’t get proper contact on the ball as his effort flashed wide of the far post

The post denied Cork the lead goal on 27 minutes when Garry Buckley laid the ball off into the path of Barry McNamee 25-yards from goal but his thunderous effort that had keeper Lawrence Vigouroux beaten came crashing back off the upright with Graham Cummins heading the close-range rebound at the netminder With the Blues playing a nice passing game, they were nearly undone by a mistake on 37 minutes when McNamee slipped the ball into the feet of Cummins, who turned superbly but his shot was clawed around the posts by a fine Vigouroux hand.

The home side had a penalty call turned down on 43 minutes when Faysel Kasmi left a clearance loose that saw Kieran Sadlier take advantage but after he went down under a challenge from the advancing Vigouroux, referee Robert Harvey wasn’t interested nor was the attacker in all fairness It was heartbreak for the Blues in injury time when David Webster gave away a free kick that saw McNamee put the ball into the danger zone where Garry Buckley’s deflected effort creeped past the stranding hand of Lawrence Vigouroux to give his side the ideal ending to the half Bastien Héry linked up with Gavan Holohan on 54 minutes but the midfielder failed to trouble keeper McNulty with a sliced effort from distance before Dylan Barnett crossed for Courtney Duffus three minutes later, but referee Harvey judged that the striker had controlled the ball with his hand after he volleyed over Rory Feely showed neat feet out on the right side to link up with John Martin on 58 minutes but Mark McNulty got down well to save his stinging effort from the midfielder as the Blues continued to play some attractive and controlled football Kieran Sadlier tried to catch out Blues keeper Vigouroux on his final start for the club on 64 minutes when he stepped over a free kick on the left-side of the penalty area after he was fouled by John Martin but the netminder palmed the ball around the posts for a fruitless corner kick McNulty was counting his blessings on 75 minutes when Bastien Héry got free out on the left-side, but his effort just cleared the ball before a sweeping counter attack saw Cork grab that all important second goal. Sadlier knocked the ball down for Karl Sheppard out on the right and he crossed for Graham Cummins to head home

The Blues conceded a third goal on 79 minutes as Steven Beattie knocked the ball into the penalty area that saw Graham Cummins knock his delivery into the path of Kieran Sadlier and he swept a close-range shot past a helpless Lawrence Vigouroux Cork carved out the Waterford defence on 88 minutes when Steven Beattie sent Karl Sheppard clear down in front of the Blues fans in front of the St Anne’s end of Turners Cross but with Vigouroux beaten, his cracking shot came crashing back off the left-hand post as the Blues had to leave the Cross with another defeat.

Blues Sign Noel Hunt

Waterford FC are delighted to confirm the signing of Noel Hunt. Waterford-native Hunt joins the club as player/assistant-manager. Hunt will be no stranger to Blues’ fans having played at the RSC in the early 2000’s before going on to represent the Republic of Ireland senior international side and play in the English Premier League with Reading. Hunt spent time in Scotland with Dunfermline Athletic and Dundee United before earning a move to Reading where he secured promotion to the Premier League; and went on to make 24 appearances.

Hunt most recently played for Wigan Athletic, earning promotion to the Championship. Waterford FC General Manager, Jack Power, said: "We are delighted to have Noel Hunt return to Waterford. He is widely experienced, having played in the Premier League as well as representing the Republic of Ireland. He’ll bring both great energy and enthusiasm into Waterford FC. It is truly a major coup for our football club."


Letters to the Editor

  • Our View

    Rush to CriticismThere are not many people who at this stage have not heard about the Cash family and what happened to them. The mother and six of her children had to seek accommodation in the Tallaght Garda Station last week as they had absolutely nowhere to turn to. It led to an outcry as pictures of the young children sleeping on seats were posted to social media by the mother.Understandably there were a lot of people who were saddened to see that in this day and age that a family had to resor …

    read more »

Weekly Poll