Thursday, 20th September 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook

Senior Football Roundup

The second round of the group stages of the JJ Kavanagh sponsored Waterford Senior Football Championship was completed last weekend with results again going, in the main, as expected. Leading 1-10 to 0-4 at the break reigning champions Stradbally came through their second encounter with another win, this time against Portlaw on a 1-17 to 1-10 scoreline. The reds having beaten Dauglan Naofa (1-12 to 0-7) in their opening game will go into the break with four points and look very much back in the championship groove. The second tie in Group A saw Ardmore and Dungarvan hoping to redress their opening day losses with a win and the vistory in this one went to the Old Boro on a 2-18 to 2-10 scoreline. Dungarvan showed a real turnaround in their form from the opening day and were fully deserved of the two points.

There was an eagerly anticipated clash in Group B as Ballinacourty, fresh from their opening success (2-14 to 0-4) over the Brickies up against Clashmore/Kinsalebeg. The latter were involved in a goalfest against Nire in their initial outing before going down by ten points (6-5 to 1-10) to fancied Nire. A goal apiece from David Looby and Conor Prunty saw Ballinacourty ahead 2-4 to 0-7 at the break. It was very difficult to separate two very determined teams in the second half but a goal from John Prendergast with ten minutes remaining saw Clashmore/Kinsale level. Paul O'Connor edged the latter ahead but again Ballinacourty were back on terms within a minute 1-12 to 2-9. However in time added on Aidan Trihy got the score to secure a win for Clashmore/Kinsale beg on a 1-13 to 2-0 scoreline.

The second game in the group saw highly fancied Nire face Brickies. In their opeing game Nire fired home six goals while Brickies struggled against Ballinacourty. The game opened brightly for Nire and a goal within fifteen minutes had them ahead 1-2 to 0-3. Five minutes later the joint outright favourites, with Stradbally, saw the net billowed again as Shane Walsh goaled 2-5 to 0-3. The team from Ballymacarbry were firing on all cylinders as Shane O'Meara had goal number three before the break and they had built up a 3-5 to 0-3 lead. In a late drive before the short whistle Brickies were rewarded with a goal from Emmett Gaffney and the score stood at 3-8 to 1-4. Early goals in the second half from Shane O'Meara and Maurice Daly saw Nire still in front 4-9 to 2-5. This was another goalfest with two more second half goals for Brickies from Maurice Daly and Cormac O'Grady but Nire held on for a worthy 4-15 to 4-9 win and a second win on the board.

Group C in the race for the Conway Cup saw Rathgormack looking to retain their winning sequence as they faced Kilrossanty. The men from the Comeragh having beaten Gaultier (2-11 to 1-6) in their opening game were level with the Leamybrien outfit, 1-4 apiece at the break but came out on the right side of the scoreboard with a 3-11 to 2-9 final score. The last game in the group saw Gaultier and Ring both looking for an opening win in the competition. While Gaultier had gone down in their opening fixture An Rinn had garnered a draw against Kilrossanty. There was very little to separate the teams the men from the Barony edging the opening half on a 0-6 to 0-5 scoreline. However both teams will probably be reasonably happy with the final 0-11 apiece draw. At the moment as the club scene breaks for the intercounty games it appears that both Stradbally and Nire are in pole position although one must stress that there is a long road still to tread. A number of teams will improve over the coming weeks with surely a surprise or two on the way.


A reminder that the Waterford Minor Football team face Tipperary in Leamybrien on Wednesday evening at 6.30pm. This is a playoff game which if Waterford win will see them face Clare in the Munster semi-final.


The Waterford Ladies Football team were beaten 1-8 to 0-8 in the semi-final of Division Two of the League last weekend. despite some superb shooting from Maria Delahunty they trailed Cavan 0-5 to 0-3 at the break. The winners had the all important goal early in the second half as Catherine Dolan gave her team a little breathing space and try as they might the Waterford ladies just could not get level.

The Waterford camogie team faced Cork in the Munster Championship last week and despite a huge effort they went down 1-12 to 0-11. The teams were level at the break 0-5 apiece but at the final whistle they fell just short. No doubt manager Donal O'Rourke will be disappointed but delighted and proud of the performance.


Letters to the Editor

  • Waiting can be bad for your He...

    When the latest statistic that waiting times for patients had risen to their highest level yet, there can't have been too many people that were surprised.There are now over 700.000 people on waiting lists with over 50.000 of them children. That so many people are waiting for treatment in one of the most developed economies in the world is truly frightening. Of course you can take into account the underfunding of the health sector during the economic downturn but it still wouldn't fully explain why so ma …

    read more »

Weekly Poll