Saturday, 22nd September 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook

Super Blues send Hoops home tumbling

Waterford FC made it five wins from seven after a 2-1 win at home to Shamrock Rovers to move second in the league table at the RSC on Friday night last. This was the first meeting of the two clubs in the Premier League since September 2007.

A double from Courtney Duffus either side of a superb Graham Burke strike made it another night to remember for the massive attendance who braved the lashing rain which fell all through the exciting contest. Having conceded a stoppage time winner to Dundalk in Oriel Park the previous week this was just the tonic the players needed. Paul Keegan, Garry Comerford, Bastien Hery and Courtney Duffus all came back into the starting eleven from the game in Co Louth seven days previously . Next up on the league scene for the Blues is a game against Limerick in The Markets Field on Good Friday. It has been many decades sine the two clubs have played each other at that venue.

Trevor Clarke had the first chance for the visitors as his driven cross from the left forced forcing keeper Lawrence Vigouroux to produce an excellent low save after a deflection from Garry Comerford.

But Rovers good start took a turn for the worst when they were reduced to 10 men after just ten minutes. Two yellow cards for fouls on Dean O’Halloran and Courtney Duffus saw referee Paul McLoughlin produced a red card to Ally Gilchrist.

And it was Waterford who took advantage as they took the lead just passed the half hour. Bastien Hery picked out Dylan Barnett on the left. His cross wasn’t cleared by Luke Byrne and Courtney Duffus fired under Tomer Chencinski.

The lead lasted just two minutes as Rovers levelled. Brandon Miele found the unmarked Graham Burke on the right and he beautifully curled the ball beyond the dive of Vigouroux from the edge of the penalty area.

But the home side were back in front two minutes. Stanley Aborah stole back possession from Lee Grace before finding Gavan Holohan. He picked out Duffus and he fired under Rovers keeper Chencinski to make it 2-1 to the Waterford.

Rovers created chances early in the second period. Lee Grace saw his header saved by Vigouroux. Dan Carr was next to threaten but he fired over from inside the penalty area after a good Sam Bone cross. Ronan Finn fired wide from a good position before Brandon Miele saw his free kick well saved by Vigouroux.

As much as Rovers pressed, Waterford held firm at the back and defended well to hold on for another valuable three points in front of a capacity 3,010 crowd at the RSC. It was an amazing night at the Kilbarry venue and the season just gets better and better for a club which was promoted from the First Division last season.

Waterford FC: Lawrence Vigouroux, John Kavanagh, Dave Webster, Garry Comerford, Dylan Barnett; Bastien Hery, Stanley Aborah, Gavan Holohan, Paul Keegan; Dean O’Halloran (Izzy Akinade 53), Courtney Duffus (Faysel Kasmi 77)

Shamrock Rovers: Tomer Chencinski; Ethan Boyle, Lee Grace, Ally Gilchrist, Trwvor Clarke (Luke Byrne 31 (Sam Bone 51)); Ronan Finn, Greg Bolger; Joel Coustrain (Roberto Lopes 12), Graham Burke, Brandon Miele; Dan Carr.

Referee: Paul McLoughlin. Assistants. Robert Clarke and Michelle O'Neill.


Letters to the Editor

  • Waiting can be bad for your He...

    When the latest statistic that waiting times for patients had risen to their highest level yet, there can't have been too many people that were surprised.There are now over 700.000 people on waiting lists with over 50.000 of them children. That so many people are waiting for treatment in one of the most developed economies in the world is truly frightening. Of course you can take into account the underfunding of the health sector during the economic downturn but it still wouldn't fully explain why so ma …

    read more »

Weekly Poll